Saturday, April 6, 2019

FlossTube #7 ~ Stitchy Notes!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  Today's blog post is all about the fun stitchy stuff I chatted about on my latest FlossTube video..If you haven't seen it yet, click on the link below!



Join Deborah of canopiedstitches and me for our upcoming stitch-a-long starting on June 1st!  We will be stitching Blackbird Designs, Cherry Baskets, using the hashtag #bbcherrybasket on Instagram.

Then on July 1st we will start our second stitch-a-long Sally Spencer Sampler by Birds of a Feather!  The hashtag for that will be #bofsallysummerstitching.

We would love to have you join us! 

Finishes shown in my video:
Hello Spring by Plum Street Samplers - I did a blog post a few days ago and include all the color conversions I used...click here
April Word Play by With thy Needle and Thread..stitched on 36 count Winter Moon with GAST and CC Threads that I substituted for colors I was missing: Evergreen, Parchment, Lambswool, Soot, Burnt Orange, Flax, CC Blackbird, Ohio Lemon Pie, CC Honeycomb.

Flosstubers mentioned:
Megan The Wide Eyed Stitcher
Jo's Country Junction
Mischievous Stitches

Quilt shown:
Spring Fling Mini 2015

Thanks so much for stopping by today! If you have any questions, let me know!

Happy Stitching
Olivia
xx

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon from sunny Texas! I just discovered your YouTube channel and I must say that I have enjoyed your episodes. I have watched all 7 and hope your plans are to continue.

    I have recently picked up cross stitching again. I have recently went back to work as the phone operator which strangely does have down times. I am one of those ADHD adults who have to have something to do at all times if sitting. Let's face it, doing the same thing over and over again can get boring if you don't change it up a little. So I started cross stitching since it is small and portable. I am also a quilter but that takes allot of stuff to haul in. :) Now for the purpose of this comment...

    You mention the fabric you use to cross stitch on. I have looked at some of the cloth that is available at Hobby Lobby and I am unsure how to cross stitch on it. I normally stitch on 14 ct Aida. I can easily see the square to stitch. I don't see it on linen or Jacobin cloth. Can you demonstrate how you stitch? I also noticed that you start at the top instead of in the middle. How do you determine where on the cloth to start? Do you use a special tool or ruler or is it just guess work?

    As I watch your channel I take notes regarding where your shopping or which 'shout outs' you give and go check them out also. I have gone to 123 Stitch and looked at their website. I can dream all day looking at their on-line store. Making a seriously long wish list. It is awesome learning new on-line stores to shop at. Where I live has very limited shopping places that carry cross-stitch or quilting supplies. I count on the on-line stores to supply what I need or want. The only draw back is limited budget which requires sound purchases and really can't afford to make purchasing mistakes.

    Thank you for sharing your cross stitch passion with us. I really appreciate it.

    Donna Kirkland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna!!
      Sorry I haven't replied sooner! If you are interested in starting to stitch on Linen, I would recommend 28 count Lugana which I think is equivalent to 14 count aida. I began stitching on aida and a friend recommended Lugana when I showed an interest in switching. You can see the holes really well, it's almost like stitching on aida, but has the look of linen. I still use it! I like to stitch on 32 count Lugana. The best place for me to buy it is at 123Stitch, the price is great for my budget. There aren't a whole lot of Lugana colors, so that makes it great to start out with. I use my Olfa ruler to help me determine where I'm going to place my first stitch in the corner. I always like 2 to 3 inches extra around my stitching area(for framing and boo boos in case I miss count), so I know to place my 2 or 3 inch square ruler up in the corner of my piece and stick a pin to hold my place...then count to where my first stitch will be. I hope that makes sense!

      If you have any questions let me know!
      Olivia

      Delete